Tuesday, February 12, 2013

First Impressions in Maestro


The first impressions I have of Paul Crabbe at the beginning of the novel is that he is a bit of a misfit, a ‘fence sitter’ (Chapter 4, p. 17) He does not appear to be a quiet child because he says exactly what he feels and claims that he is self centered due to the fact he is a child. I was child enough––self-centred enough––to think it likely’ (Chapter 1, p.5). Pauls relationship with his parents differs quite a bit, his mother is presented as very motherly and as the carer of the household ‘As always, my mother… began fussing in the kitchen” (Chapter 2, pg. 7) Paul also states ‘my mother, ever the conciliator’ (Chapter 2, pg. 8) meaning that she acts as a mediator. She is also presented as more emotional and talkative, the complete opposite to her stoic and quiet husband John Crabbe. Paul is quite obedient when speaking to his father, ‘In these pairings of opposites I have always put my father first,(Chapter 4, pg. 15) but it appears that he can be more open with his mother and express his feelings more freely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment